My husband and I are going on vacation for the first time WITHOUT our three-year-old (he will be staying with the grandparents). What are some things we can do to prepare him for this in advance?
There are a few things to consider:
- Have a great time together. Your vacation will help you be better parents.
- If you can, give him some experience staying with his grandparents overnight in advance.
- Don’t make a big fuss about it. Don’t let your own anxieties about leaving influence him. Expect he will do just fine. Trust that his grandparents will take great care of him and he will have a wonderful time. If you choose to call him while you are away, make sure you are upbeat and positive when you call. Don’t call him excessively (e.g., more than a few minutes each day).
- Leave him something personal of yours, a sweater or a special picture for him to keep while you are away as a comfort object.
- If his grandparents wish, they may make a calendar when you leave. The calendar can have special things they are going to do and the date of your return.
When we left our daughter for the first time and went away, we missed her more than she missed us. But we survived.